Courtney - Edgewood, Kentucky
Themes: sports

I believe in the power of a team beyond athletic success. I am a dancer at the Turning Pointe Dance Studio, and have been a member of the competitive dance team division for eight years of my life. Yes, we have won some competitions, but we have lost many as well. That one-room studio, however, has not only given me trophies and medals, but a home, a family, great times, and confidence among many other things. When we travel to large-scale competitions, we are by no means one of the best teams there—in fact, we are probably one of the worst. Certain teams dance forty hours a week, and they do deserve all the credit they can get, for they have amazing technique and ability. But despite this, we ten hours a week dancers are not far behind, and we can also gladly say that we have the best times at the studio, along with the hard work. We do not simply go in, dance, and go home. We have good times, jokes, laughter, and most of all, a place with friends in which to confide.

Before each competition, my team lays in a circle in the dark and listens to the songs to which we will be competing. We visualize our dances and ourselves doing them perfectly. This may sound serious and silly, but it is not… for me, I usually get lost in my head or make a mistake, as do most people (or so they say). After doing so, we listen to songs from my dance teacher to us: “I Hope You Dance,” “Forever Young,” and “One Moment in Time.” This is one of the best things I have ever done; to sit there and sing the words to these songs to my teammates and teachers gives me a feeling that cannot be matched, for they are not only my teammates, but my family. They will always be there for me as I will always be there for them. In the time that we spend together, we create the best memories a girl can have, and for these dancers and our memories I will be forever grateful.

Many sports teams seem to only strive for wins, trophies, and recognition. I do not know what I would do if I were on such a team, for I have had the best experiences being one of the Turning Pointe Dance Studio Starcatchers. We have not only learned to work together as dancers, but also to work together to carry one another through rough times, and to celebrate the good times. Sports teams should not only be there to play the sport; this may be the central goal of the team, but I believe that true teamwork comes brings in more aspects than simply to gain athletic success. True teamwork is to bring the best out of one’s self through others, and to help bring out the best in others, while doing what one and the team loves.