Christopher - Sammamish, Washington
Themes: purpose, sports, work

I believe that persistence, will always lead to success. As I see it, in life there are two types of goals, wants and desires. A want is merely something that it would be nice to have but if you don’t get it, it won’t be the end of the world. A desire is much different, what you desire is what you live for. In my experience, what you desire, you never stop trying to obtain.

I have had many wants for toys and more of this and more of that but I have had only one desire. I would classify it as more than a desire, it was much more like a fixation. I needed to earn my right of passage. I needed to beat my grandpa at tennis. Beating him is essentially a requirement to entering his inner circle of trust on the court. It may sound easy to beat him because he is old, but it’s not. He is 73, but he nearly plays as good as when he was a high ranking amateur player back in the 1950’s.

The first time I played him I was only 10, and I got the surprise of my life when I lost without winning a single set in all three games we played in the match. At the moment I lost the last game, I made a deal with myself that I would beat him outright fair and square. I played every day challenging him once a month in order to learn his strategy and technique. At one point when I was 13 I was nearly convinced he was impossible to beat, however I persisted. I then practiced more than ever, and joined the Skyline Tennis Team. After completing the season I felt as if I was ready. The day I challenged him I felt great, I was confident that I could win. It was the hardest match I had ever played, I made him run and he made me run. He put up a gallant defense but a 15 year old boy can, without a doubt outrun a 73 year old. It was a great victory for me physically and mentally. After reflecting on my match, I realized, that when I am persistent, in the end I will always complete my goal.