JULIANNA - new braunfels, Texas

This may come as a shock to some of you, but I’m just going to come right out and say it. I believe that wedding planning is not all its cracked up to be. As a girl grows up, she is made to believe that her destiny in life is to plan the most beautiful wedding of the century and it is supposed to be fun. Well, now it’s my turn, and I am wondering when the fun is going to start. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a bridezilla, I’m just stressed. I am thrilled to be getting married. I love my fiancée with all of my heart, I just don’t like all of the big decisions I have to make. I’m not exactly sure why I feel this way. If you had told me before I had gotten engaged that I would feel this way, I would have said your crazy. I have been waiting for this day as long as I can remember. I believe there are many reasons for the way I feel, but the top five reasons are money, guest lists, time, job/school, and parents/in laws. These five reasons seem to be the source of my stress; the thorn in my flesh.

You know the saying “money doesn’t grow on trees,” yah well I wish it were true. Planning a wedding involves money, a lot of it to be exact. When I dreamed of my wedding as a little girl, I never once thought about things with price tag. But, now that I am older and am trying to plan my wedding, money is all I can think about. The guest lists also play in with the money problem. For example, every time you add another person to your guest list, you add probably at least thirty more dollars to your whole bill. So if you have a tremendously large family, like mine, you’re looking at a guest list of a minimum of 350 people.

There are twenty-four hours in a day; sometimes I think I need at least a thirty-hour day, so that I can accomplish half of the things I need to get done. Between work and school I barely have any time to plan a wedding. Honestly at the end of a long hard day the last thing I want to do is think about all of the things I need to do for the wedding.

Parents, I have learned, we will never truly be on the same wavelength. I love my parents more than life its self, and my soon to be in laws are wonderful, but there are those times that I just cannot take them any more. For example my soon to be mother in law loves to ask questions, lots of them all the time. Which is ok at times, but also can be stressful because she sees what all I haven’t taken care of. It is helpful to me to receive others opinions, but it is also frustrating when I have not requested it or if it is constantly given by my fiancés mother. I respect her, but it’s still a humbling process.

Well as they say in the “Father of the bride” every party needs a pooper and every pooper needs a party.” I have determined that pooper will not be me. Because no matter what does or does not get done I still will be married at the end of the day to the man of my dreams, which makes everything worth it. This is what I believe, you may not agree but that’s how it is for me.