Sunnese - Petoskey, Michigan

We can’t always depend on people

Do you feel that we need to depend on someone for help or an achievement?Have you depended on someone who didn’t keep their word and you lost an opportunity? Many people choose to depend on people because they feel that they can’t do it alone. But let me tell you something, I believe you can’t depend on anyone but yourself.

Some believe they can’t live without someone supporting them. My mother is a great example. Her dad and her man supported her all her life. She never had to work, buy a car, pay bills or worry about any financial income. All she had to do was take care of the kids and the house. This behavior of a spoiled child became out of control and she partied too much thinking she never had to worry. In 2001, she was in a car accident while intoxicated and almost killed someone. She spent 2 years in prison, lost her kids, and became alone in the world. While supporting her in prison, her father sent her money to

help get her daily needs. Two years later, she turned to her dad for some more money when she got out. Unfortunately, she went back to prison with another DUI. A couple years later, her father passes away and she suffers to be independent. My point is that she became lost as she was depending on her father’s money until he died. Independently, she has to learn to live alone.

Making friends is a good thing but when they make promises they can’t keep is another. Last year, my car broke down and the only way I could go to work and school

was by my friend. She told me that it was no problem giving me a ride to Petoskey

everyday as long as I had gas money. Everything was going good for a while until one day she started giving me excuses. Later, I lost my ride, and my attendance was affecting my grades, as well as my job. My cousin let me stay with her in Petoskey so I can continue school and work. I realized that I can’t depend on people because they’re not

always going to be there for you.

Without any help this year, I’m making progress. I have my own transportation and

attend college. Until I get a job, I’m still living with my cousin. Until then, I’m barely making it with no money for my next month’s bills but that’s okay because I made it this far. I can always sit back and work on my beaded projects for sale to make some extra money. From my experience and my mother’s experience, I know now that we can’t live while everyone is supporting our lives. Eventually, it is all up to us on decisions, money, work, school, and rides. Therefore, we depend on ourselves at the end. Trusting someone can also hold you back. Nobody is going to be there for you forever. Depending on others isn’t a way to success. This is what I believe.