Lydia - Cartersville, Georgia

Faith is universal and opportunity to prove your faith should never be squandered. Being a member of a minority faith, I have pondered the idea of faith and exclusivity since an acquaintance I knew came to me about a nasty rumor. There were talks and whispers that I was actually a witch! Taken off guard, I asked my distant friend did she think I was a witch? Her answer was immediate and fraught with conviction, “Of course not! You are the most faithful Christian I have ever met!”

“Well, there you go!” tumbled out of my mouth. I thought about this acquaintance and her frequent lunches with my boss. I thought about loosing my job. Caught up in all these fears, I began to regret what I had said. The fact of the matter is I am a woman of great faith. I am a Witch.

Faith is by definition a strong belief in a supernatural power that holds sway over humankind’s destiny. For me it is not so hard to see faith in all the religions I have been privilege to experience. Go to a Synagogue, a Hindi Temple, a Buddhist retreat, a church in the wildwood or a sacred grove of witches and there faith is. However, I have been living my life as if my own faith is not as good as others. I guard my tongue hiding behind euphemisms like ‘I write about world religions,’ afraid to reveal the work I really do: writing for families who have chosen Wiccan or Witchcraft spirituality.

Over time I began to see that by hiding in fear, I was somehow telling myself; my own faith wasn’t good enough. I was giving credence to the idea that only certain religions have the faithful, and my religion is not one of them.

During this time of self-reflection, I began to be open, more ‘out of the broom closet’ than in years past. Therefore, it should not have surprised me when the opportunity to prove my faith came. It happened in a southern courthouse. A tall lawyer in an old suit would take me off guard with his opening question.

“Isn’t true that you declare you are a witch?” he accused.

I saw the potential of losing the case flash before my eyes. I remembered that day so many years ago when my faith was acknowledge as proof that I wasn’t a witch. I thought about all the Martyrs in this world willing to sacrifice for their Faith.

“Yes, I am,” I said slowly and deliberately, “I am a Witch. I am a Wiccan.”

“You do not deny this!?” the lawyer shouted in surprise.

“Of course not,” I casually replied, “There is no reason to.” A wave of peace washed over me as I took up my faith. It did not fail me. After all faith is universal and people of faith cannot help but respect the faith of others.