Christina - Howell, Michigan

A National Brotherhood

It doesn’t seem possible that a little over five and a half years ago, I was listening to the local radio station broadcast that the twin towers had been hit by a plane in New York City. America had been the victim of a vicious terrorist attack, and consequently September 11th, 2007 will be a day that echoes in all of our lives for many years to come.

I cannot begin to describe how amazed I was at the community outreach and the national brotherhood that came about as a result of that fateful day. I will never forget holding the hands of my classmates as we prayed together for the victims and their families. That night even the most bitter wept for those who did not survive, those who were non-religious said the sweetest of prayers, and there was a tear in the eye of every American. That night we put ourselves aside while we remembered those who left their children without a father, and mothers who would not come home to make dinner that night. We remembered the parents who lost a child, those who were missing, without a home, those who lost everything.

Interesting that we, as a nation, responded with such despair and sympathy for those we had never met, yet we can treat those who are close to us like filth. We can raise a flag at half mast and construct a memorial for a fallen soldier, rejoice in the killing of innocent people and their families. Interesting that we allow race and religion to control our perceptions and stereotypes of people, while never giving them a chance as a human being.

What we saw on September 11th, and what we see in a community when one of their local soldiers falls should be the compassion that we show in everyday life. Instead of filling our lives with racial hatred and stereotypical generalizations, we should be demonstrating to the world the selflessness, love, and brotherhood that we as a nation are capable of. If we band together we can infect the world with our compassion, and change the face of our nation forever.