Kylie - Reidsville, North Carolina

I believe that life is full of choices, and everyday I make at least a hundred. From rising out of the bed to lying back down at night, some of the choices are simple, some complex, but all affect my life.

When rising out of bed, I make the choice either to have a good day or a bad day. Things may happen that I cannot control, but I can control how I handle them. For example, people can start rumors about me, but it is my choice to let them ruin my day or not.

Simple choices such as what I am going to wear, how I am going to fix my hair, and what I am going to eat for breakfast I take for granted. I just simply choose without much thought, but as I now ponder these decisions, I realize they can affect my day’s outcome. If I find out I have to eat cereal instead of cinnamon buns I can become mad or I can just get over it. Wearing my holey jeans to school, knowing it is against the school dress code, can cause me to leave school and miss a class. It is my choice to make it a great day or not just by following the simple choices that are put before me.

Complex choices such as telling my best friend I saw her boyfriend kissing another girl or deciding to tell my parents that I had lied to them are difficult choices I have had to face. I actually had to tell my parents that I was not where I was supposed to be. Making this choice was not easy knowing I had consequences to pay, but through it all I felt a sense of relief knowing they knew the truth. No, being grounded is not fun but it was the right choice to tell. I believe that the choices I made as a child and as a teenager now can pave the way for my adulthood. Habits can be made without knowing it, but they all start by making a choice.

The choices I make in life are like stitches woven into a quilt, but good or bad alike, they contribute to the work that is I. This I believe.