Amanda - Reidsville, North Carolina
Themes: forgiveness

Nobody knew that night would be the worst night of my life. There was going to be a huge party. Of course being a high school party there was going to be tons of drinking, smoking pot and probably many other drugs.

As more people got to the party the alcohol was running out quickly, and that’s when things got out of control. Of course no one was fit to be driving. As it got later into the night, parents started calling their children because they had missed curfew. Many parents began to panic and call everyone they knew to try to find out where their children were. Friends of their children had told the worried parents about the party and approximately where it was. Finally, all of the parents found their children and brought them safely home.

Once I woke up the next morning I slowly began to try to figure out exactly what had happened the night before. I remember my best friend at the time running around without her shirt on trying to impress the guys. I remember myself on the phone with my current boyfriend, crying scared to death that my parents were going to call the police. I can still here his voice saying, “I’m sorry but I’m across town at another party and I’m not coming to get you.”

I finally urged myself to get up and face my parents. When I got downstairs I found my mom crying at the kitchen table. I sat down and couldn’t bear to look into her eyes. She looked at me and began to say that she didn’t know what to do with me anymore and that she had given up on me. Scared of what my mom would do, I started telling her what had happened. I told her that I had gone with my friend to make sure that she stayed safe because she had to meet her previous drug dealer to pay off a drug debt. She listened closely as I told her the entire story.

At school, I found out that my mom had called my friend’s mom. She hated me. She was being forced to go to a clinic. As bad as I felt for it, I knew it was the right thing for me to do. However, I hated my mother for not telling me that she was calling my friends mom. I also hated my boyfriend for not caring about picking me up from the party.

Now off drugs, my friend and I are close again. Everyday I’m thankful that she forgave me because my life wouldn’t be the same if she hadn’t. My mother and I also are talking and do the normal mother-daughter activities. I wouldn’t be the same person if I hadn’t forgiven her. I believe in forgiveness. Nobody can live a happy life burdened by grudges.