Connor - Reidsville, North Carolina

I believe in rudeness. Not rudeness as in shoving someone aside as you walk down the stairs, or kicking a puppy or anything. A different kind of rudeness altogether. Being as blunt as possible, with no consideration for the other parties involved- that’s how work gets done, how mountains get moved. That’s the type of rudeness that, if everyone were to share, would make the world a better place.

I get told I’m rude on a daily basis- by all sorts of people. Family, friends, complete strangers- it seems to be a widely accepted notion. However, the word “rude” has been so bent and twisted that no one realizes what it really means. I personally don’t care if I hurt another person’s “feelings” or if I don’t respect their “opinions.” Why should I? That’s not being “rude.” That’s being indifferent.

Then, what is “rude”? “Rude” is the exploitation of this indifference to achieve an aim. “Rude” is why the world runs. It’s nice and gives some people a warm, fuzzy petting-a-bunny feeling on the inside to think that everyone can and should be friendly and cordial to each other, but I’d rather not. It makes me feel much better to take that little “pet-a-bunny” feeling and wring its neck, then explain to the same people that the only way anything ever gets done is by not being afraid to step on some toes, or occasionally slamming the metaphorical door in someone’s face.

Why do “rude” and mean people often end up in positions of such power? It’s because they believe in the power of rudeness- they know how to make things work. When I give considerations to the feelings of others, I am unable to voice or promote my convictions as clearly as I could otherwise. Eventually, someone may be “rude” enough to step up and take charge, or to promote change, in a situation. These people are remembered as being “forceful,” not rude, however. I blame this on the aforementioned deception of thinking that everyone must be nice and kind.

Being rude- and realizing what it holds- is what allows somebody to take charge of whatever they want. If I walk up to somebody who is working on a project or school assignment, and then tell them that their work sucks and that they would be better served to lie down on railroad tracks and wait, that person is going to take note.

Niceties and friendliness have their place, assuredly. Regardless, people who want to make progress- or on a minor scale, just make a point—must be unafraid to trod on some feelings, and even promote their views over those of others. The idea that I have to perpetually be nice to everyone else and that everyone else’s feelings are in league with my own is unimportant and deceiving. When I assign precedence to my own feelings and opinions, I am not being “rude.” I am being forceful. I am causing, even if others don’t believe it, a transitory state of mind- a realization in others that perhaps they aren’t always right. And maybe I am being a little rude- just because it’s fun. This I believe.