Max - Reidsville, North Carolina

Hit Me With Music

I believe in music. It’s not just that music is one of the best inventions known to man. It’s more that music is such a powerful force that it can literally change the world. I am only fifteen, but I have never met anybody on this planet that does not have some kind of musical preference. Not everybody is as skilled as say Beethoven or Eddie Van Halen, but most people can find something they like in a rack of records. Whether it is old bluegrass in the state of Kentucky or ‘80’s thrash metal in the country of Japan, music is all over the world.

In my world, music is what tames the chaos. When life is most hectic, I just put on my favorite tunes and feel at ease. Music is what built a broad foundation of my life if I truly think about it. The way I dress comes partially from the styles of music I listen to. The way I talk and act comes partially from the music I listen to. Even the friends I have made come a little bit through the music I listen to. If music can impact my personality and lifestyle that much, then it can do a whole lot more to the entire population of Earth.

Bob Marley, being the musical genius that he was, once said, “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” That being said, instead of hitting with bullets, bombs, or fists; people should hit with music. I don’t mean to come off sounding a bit like a hippy flower child, but it’s true. If two people love the same kind of music, any argument they have can be solved without fists. I mean if two guys are in a bar and one spills beer on the other, they’re not going to get in a fight if they know they’re both James Brown fans. If more people realized they agree on things like this, then there would not be nearly as many wars as there are in this day and age.

A decision made by the United Nations or a group of people executed by extremists can change lives and even the world. So can a song. A song can be written about those U.N. decisions or executions that can just as easily change the world. U2 actually wrote a song called “Sunday Bloody Sunday” in 1983 about executions and violence involving the NRA and Northern Ireland. The song’s powerful drumbeat and violins brought home the horrors of violence. It has been a hit ever since. If there is one thing I want to deeply get across with this essay it is that instead of hitting with destruction, hit with music, and nobody will feel pain.