Sheree - Kansas City, Missouri

Carpe Simplicity

Simplicity can be defined as plain, boring, basic, easily understood – pretty much lacking all the qualities that make up complexity. But in my world – simplicity is exciting, difficult, not easily understood. It’s the thing that makes up a core part of your life. It’s also the thing that can bring you the most joy if done correctly. Complexity consists of challenges and tests to prove you can understand or triumph anything, honestly I consider that too easy. Simplicity is challenging it takes time to realize, to acknowledge and to accept. People these days are so focused on being complex – that they suffer and worry. I believe that simplicity offers honest happiness.

In my life I’ve experienced more things than any adolescent should ever experience. I’ve witnessed twenty broken plates, at least thirty times the door being slammed from the person whose trying to escape the building holding their unsolved differences and five glasses thrown across the room at the people who gave me life. I never saw authentic – you complete me love. My eyes only beheld the incidents of verbal disagreements, the outcry of frustrations, the scenes of these so-called adults depreciating their love for each other.

I would retreat to my room – hiding beneath the bed covers, hoping things would get solved. For the next five years I would no longer frolic amongst blades of grass and make crowns out of daisies. I will become the worrier of adult things. I will soon question myself – is this the way my life will be? Will it be filled with complications? Will it be filled with constant worrying? How will I stop the next fight – should I cry profusely? In those five years – I would claim nature my temporary sanctuary, a place where I can breathe and think. I lie outside and watch the rain – the droplets of tiny water filled with molecular structures. The droplets that contained hydrogen and oxygen bonds, the droplets that fell from the grey cotton balls in the sky.

The rain was a source of renew; a source that signified a new beginning – the message: things renew themselves and re-establishes a new beginning filled with pleasant results. I found this out through the most simplistic thing this world provides – tiny droplets of water. Through this revelation I began to recognize and acknowledge the simple things – the things that make life worth living, the things you wake up for, the things that make a lousy mood turn into a sublime one. I saw the bliss in every simplistic thing I do throughout my life from the tingly feeling you get when you’re brushing the gums of your teeth or to the gazing of awe-inspiring balls of gas that reside in the sky. These simplistic devices alleviated the worries that filled my life and magnified the simplistic tasks. It made me see the beauty and harmony within; this brought me to my life’s philosophy – not everything needs to be apparent in order to be considered satisfying. It’s the simplistic things presented to you that gives you determination to see a new day.