Carrie - chesapeake, Virginia

I believe in natural beauty.

Working in retail all my life I not only saw the true effect that an 8am shift has on sales associates… but also how beauty can be defined by the self-esteem that a customer presents.

As the morning progressed so did my enthusiasm to be there. The doors opened at 9am and the first customer to walk through the door was a young girl with blonde hair and make-up that looked as if she were going out. The golden locks were obviously dyed and her made up face looked like she was asking for something other than a t-shirt.

Later on that day, a young married couple walked through the doors. A beautiful brown haired girl with natural beauty that shone through her locks of curly hair. The husband, well he wasn’t fair behind, he had a tall lean body and gorgeous blonde hair. Although both of them had the natural beauty that any person would die for, they still had the confidence that came without the fake hair, and the caked on make-up.

The sad thing about that day was the fact that these two very different sets of customers let there appearances get to them. When helping the young girl with golden locks, a powdered complexion, and the scent of cover girl; it wasn’t too difficult to see that her personality matched perfectly to her fake look. On the other hand, the natural couple with beauty that surpassed that of anyone I had seen that day, let me help them with ease as well as be very understanding and sweet.

After that day I realized how much people put into their appearances. People worry so much about what they look like on the outside, and not who they are on the inside.

That day not only symbolized my first 8am shift but also, that I myself wanted to see a change in people. A change that would let others know, that people are not always phony, people don’t always have to be judged on outward appearances, but rather be seen as what they have to offer on the inside.

Although the girl with the fake hair, caked on makeup, and worldly appearance didn’t have a personality of gold, she did have natural beauty that lied underneath all of her insecurities; as well as beauty that any person could notice in an instant…. maybe one day she will notice too.