Bailey - Bucyrus, Kansas

Bailey Loyd

April 7, 2007

English II

Ms. Hodge

Final Draft #1

Judging a Book by Its Cover

Remember when you were little and your parents would take you to a book store and you would look at all the covers of the books? You always tried so hard to find one that suits your personality. Whether it had ponies on the front or two knights battling with their shiny swords, you always tried to find your favorite then your parents would say they wouldn’t buy it for you. You go back and put it on the shelf for some other kid to find and for them to wipe their boogers on it.

I had something sort of like this happen to me. My friend Morgan and I had just started fourth grade together at a school that had just opened. Only we didn’t know each other at the time. We agreed on the first day, after we met, that we would stick together during the first few days. We ate lunch together, sat next to each other in class, and made crafts together in art … everyday. Our bond grew very strong. We started to become sisters.

After we graduated, we attended the same high school. Once we got there we discovered we had no classes together. Though we were sad we made the best out of the situation. We told each other we would see each other during lunch, before and after school, and in between classes. After only the first day though, Morgan had already made

a new great friend. Apparently she had made the best out of the situation. I tried to ignore it, hoping it was only temporary. It obviously wasn’t, they talked all the time and I felt replaced by her new friend and invisible.

Morgan soon transferred to another high school after class complications. I still thought her friend was kind of prissy because of who she hangs out with. Her friend had only talked to me a few times, but I still didn’t like her. Morgan’s friend decided to do track this year. I also compete in track. She started talking to me about practices and meets and what events she would do. She and I talked a little more each day and we started to sort of become friends. We run together with some other girls during track practice and we chat and laugh. I wouldn’t say we’re best friends but we are friends. I don’t hang out with her at school or on the weekends, and I don’t sit with her during lunch either. Don’t worry I have found my own fabulous clique of friends at this point. The point is though, is that I judged her for something that Morgan did. Morgan didn’t even do anything. She just found a great connection, like ours, with another great girl. I’m sorry that I judged you, you know who you are, if you ever read or here this. So, don’t judge a book by its cover, it’s what inside the book that counts, and besides your parents just might buy it for you.