Apryl - Kansas City, Missouri

Individual Image

There is something strange about a person that makes them different from all of the rest of us. They may have “unique” qualities, but others in the world have at least one of them as well. They may do some type of sport or craft that is different from anyone they know, but someone else, in the world, plays that sport, does that craft, or something very similar to it. It is like how Americans call the European football, soccer; the unique thing you do might just have a different name to someone else. So what is it that makes all people different, even if they are identical twins? The thing that makes all people different is my belief. I believe each person has their own inner image.

The image is sort of like your spirit in a picture form. All of the things you think about and that are in your subconscious, your mind internalizes and creates an image that is and expression of you. It can be anything from an animal to a fruit. The spirit that the image copies, is your soul, thoughts, feelings, creativity, characteristics, ideals, etc.

A little while ago, I was in religion class and we had been practicing this new form of prayer called centering. It is a type of meditation that is supposed to help you on your faith journey. On passed days, I thought the meditation was sort of hokey, I didn’t think it was going to do much except for give me time to sleep. In one of the sessions, I was in this type of sleep limbo, where I was almost asleep. This was when I found my inner image. I had a sensation of this cool mist covering me and I could hear a crisp, deep, rushing sound. I began to see a waterfall. It was very delicate, surrounded by trees and grass. The water had a rainbow tint, and cascaded over large jagged rocks into a still pond with large, flat, top boulders. The only light shown over the waterfall because of the tall plush trees, and the only form of animal, was a palm sized, fire, orange butterfly, moving in and out of the water.

For me, the waterfall represented who I am as a person. Like the rainbow tinted water, I am complex and indefinable by just one thing or color. The cascading water showed I still have much to learn about life, because like the water, I am still moving. Also, the light shining only over the waterfall expressed that I haven’t got everything figured out. There are still miles of dark spots and questions that need to be answered. Finally, the butterfly expresses the feeling of freedom. Meaning, I am free to explore new paths in life and start to like new things.

Many are still waiting for their inner image to be revealed. When it is found, it will give a strength that will provide you a personal, spiritual basis to life. This image is to be looked to for guidance, to give beliefs substance, and most importantly, for you to explore who you are as an individual.