Matt - North Andover, Massachusetts

I believe that within a moment a person’s life can be changed forever. I believe that family is the core of one’s existence. My family means the world to me. My family does not only consist of my blood relatives but my friends as well. I can not imagine a world without my family. They have truly made me the person that I am today and without them, I would not have anything to believe in.

I have really come in contact with my beliefs in the past couple of years. I only thought that I had to believe in God because that was what I was told growing up. I had first noticed my beliefs to change when I entered high school. Coming from such a large city and always attending public schools, my high school was a big change for me. My parents enrolled me into a private high school consisting if six hundred students in total. My graduating class was the smallest class to graduate, consisting of only ninety five students. Since our class was so small, everyone knew each other and their so called “Status”. Like every high school we had the typical stereotypes for all clicks. When senior year came, all of the clicks disappeared and everyone got along. We were one big family.

Our family had recently lost a member this past January. One of my good friends Pat was killed in a car accident that shocked all of us. Pat was a great friend of mine and we had played hockey together since we were very young. This was a big upset for me and my whole school. No one knew what to do or say. We were all shocked that something like this could happen to someone so close. My friends got together and we all went down to our school where the rest of our family was. The power of friendship and knowing that someone is always there helped me through this awful tragedy.

I believe that family and friends are here for this reason. They are here to help and care for you. No one should be alone in this world. Losing someone so close has a hard impact on a family. I brought my love and support over to Pat’s family because I knew that they really need it. I believe that within a moment a person’s like can be changed forever. I believe that family is the heart and soul of every person. I believe that this tragedy changed my life and made me realize that my family and friends mean the world to me. This I believe…