Alessio - USA

I believe in the domino effect; you know when one event causes a chain of similar events to occur. I became a strong believer of this after I crashed my parent’s car about a year ago, last winter.

I was home from school that day because it was a snow day; it had snowed overnight and was supposed to continue snowing throughout the day. My friend Craig and I were hanging out at my house when my mom came home during her lunch break. She had come home because she wanted to take my truck because the roads were getting bad. Before leaving however she made it a point to me and said to not take her car out no matter what, and that if I needed the car to wait for her to get back from work. I acknowledged and told her that I would wait till she got home from work.

Now I usually am not the type of person to completely disobey my mother, but I knew that she was probably exaggerating about the severity of the road conditions, like she always does. Craig and I were getting bored so I suggested we go somewhere and take out my mom’s car. At that moment I saw no harm in it, I was thinking that we’d both go out for a little, and then return the car before my mom even got home from work. Craig was not too keen of the idea but agreed in the end; I went to go get the spare key.

The first place we went to was McDonalds. As I was driving I thought that my mom had exaggerated just as usual, and that the roads weren’t really all that bad; she had overreacted about the whole thing; I just wanted to get some food. Then as we were driving back towards my neighborhood I lost control of the car going too fast on a turn. The back wheels of the car lost traction and the rear end began to slide out. The car slid into the curb on the side of the road hitting the front right wheel first and then the rear right wheel.

At that point I was not worried about my well being, but was thinking about my well being after my parents found out what happened. Both Craig and I were fine, so I tried to move the car to the other side of the road. The car wouldn’t move because the front axle got completely twisted and three of the car’s four rims were ruined.

When I called my mom she was in shock. The first thing she asked me was if I was okay. Later on that night when I got home, my parents lectured me about what had happened. My mom told me that she didn’t take the spare key because she trusted me. That statement brought me to reality, and couldn’t possibly make me feel any guiltier. I knew that from that point on I would have to do everything possible to regain my parents’ trust.

I learned that the one event of taking out my mom’s car lead to a chain of similar events; I would have to regain my parent’s trust, was grounded for a month, and had to pay $7,000 for the damage done to the car using my money I had saved since freshman year of high school.