brock - lancaster, pa 17601, Pennsylvania

Brock Lawley

This I believe essay

I believe you should never eat anything hot from a gas station. I believe that you should only trust beef jerky you’ve made yourself. I believe that the quickest way to get physically and mentally fat is to chug sweetened condensed milk while reading anything by Michael Moore. I believe academicians have banished God to the ivory tower of exegesis and secularists have replaced him with there own reflection in the mirror. I believe you should never trust a man with soft hands and that older man wearing hats give the best direction. I believe today’s average college professor spends 98% of his or her lecture in defense of nonsense.

I believe that God being inherently creative and quite handy with the (hammer and nails) of our universe created everything, and that to say the heavens and the earth could have come by chance when all of science has seen but a glance of time is to much of a leap of faith for me. I believe Shakespeare wrote his own plays and that he should have expanded on the matter of killing all the lawyers. I believe anyone old enough to party in the sixties should pay monetary reparations to my generation for screwing up this countries family unit and moral foundations. I believe that a free people can never be equal and that an equal people can never be free, and that anyone who says otherwise is a race or class dividing political opportunist.

I believe in the scent of a flower I have yet to see and in the melody of a song I have yet to hear. I believe in the awesome truth that all that is good is ours not by right but by the sheer bounty of a gracious God. My deepest awareness of myself is that I am deeply loved by Christ, and that I have done nothing to earn it or deserve it. I firmly believe in the good news of the Gospel of grace. I believe we are all equally, privileged but un-entitled beggars at the door of God’s mercy!

I believe that only really sinners need a savoir and that salvation is by grace and faith alone. I believe that most people today are plagued with a nameless despair in the pit of their stomach although they don’t admit, and that most of them are just walking Pinocchio’s wanting badly to become real boys, but are to prideful to return to Geppetto.

I believe we should wake up everyday seeking to fill our days with “wonder”, and that we should seek to be surprised, amazed and awed by every crevice of our time here. I believe we should all kill our television as soon as possible and that we are essentially either growing into more or retreating into less. I believe that at the end of our lives if given another shot at it we would seize every minute, really see it, live it, and never give it back. I believe that most of us will have wished we’d invited friends over for diner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded. I believe most of us would never have allowed ourselves get so old in mind that we could enjoy playing church Bingo. I believe most of us would have kissed that beautiful girl on the edge of the pier when we were 16.

I believe we would finally see that as humans we are nothing good yet through us can come something great.