Gina - Dayton, Ohio

I believe the biggest investment one can make is in their children’s lives.

Children are a family’s future and the world’s future. They are the next generation

of parents, citizens, homemakers, educators, voters, clergy, politicians, workers;

the list goes on and on.

But what greater satisfaction can there be than to watch your babies grow up to

become lovely adults?

Now that my husband and I have three young adult children that have promising futures

and a strong relationship with us as parents and each other as siblings, I believe it’s a result of our investment in them as individuals.

Not everyday has been perfect and we didn’t always see eye to eye, and still don’t on many levels, but we spent time getting to know them and their friends. We enjoyed attending every ball game, sports banquet, musical event, and play our schedules allowed for. We went to parent teacher conferences and field days. We ate dinner together as a family, played games, and shared chores and family projects. Some projects were bigger than others like when we fenced in our five acres with board fencing and high tensile wire fence. At the time the kids were twelve, twelve, and ten. Everyone had a part from digging the post holes, to driving the tractor, to keeping the water jug full of cold water. It was hard work; but we worked as a family team and accomplished much more than just the building of that fence.

There was a time through their teen years when we often heard one ask if we “had to do this as a family”. The answer was always yes. Now its music to my ears to hear them making plans to bring us all together.

We had plenty of toys for the kids to play with when they were little, but “dress ups” which was just a bag of old clothes and old faded curtains provided them the most fun and imagination. And at times when grandparents or family visited, a game of charades or a skit acted out was always entertaining and engaging.

More recently as all the kids were home from college for Easter, we prepared our meal together; chopping, mixing, glazing the ham, setting the table, and finally sitting down together and enjoying each other’s company. The evening was complete with a game of cards.

My husband and I can’t take all the credit because extended family and teachers along the way were a big part of this investment too. And above all of them and us, a Higher Power guided us through the good and the bad with the message that taught us that Love is what makes the world go ‘round.