Kate - Ellerslie, Georgia

Picture this. You are having the worst day of your life. A friend or even a complete stranger looks at you wrong or says the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard. And the laughter begins. I’m not talking about the little giggle that stops after a minute or so. I’m talking about the loud, obnoxious, side-splitting, tears streaming down your face laughter. This I believe is what makes for the best moments. The moments where you think you might die if you crack one more smile. It is these moments that seem to never end no matter how hard you try and stop them. The worst part about laughing to this extreme is it always begins in the worst place possible. For me, it always starts in class. We may be going over something important, but after I catch the laughing sickness you can forget about it. Teachers try to discipline the students who just can’t seem to quit laughing, but deep down the teachers know exactly how the students feel. They can say, “Oh. They are just trying to cut a fool and disrupt my classroom!” Teachers try to be firm with this statement, but we all know laughter just happens. It’s a natural thing. It can’t be stopped.

Unfortunately these moments come too often for me. I’ll be rolling on the floor with tears running down my face, unable to breathe, and people are staring at me and I know exactly what they’re thinking. What an idiot! The truth is they actually wish they had something to laugh about too. I mean what can I say? Laughing is contagious. I’m sure you have heard the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine,” but it’s true. Laughing not only helps you burn calories, but it is also a massive stress reliever.

Everyone has had one of those awful days where nothing goes the way you planned and then someone makes you laugh. Right after your little laughing spell, your soul is content and that may sound corny to you but you know it’s true. That little tingly feeling you get after busting a gut is your soul smiling because it just had one of those moments.