Schley - Cataula, Georgia
Themes: equality

As a young woman in America, I am proud of the opportunities offered to me by today’s society. I believe that in the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams” we can all find opportunity for success.

So many professions that were once thought of as male-oriented are now being occupied by women. Females have moved from the stewardess to the pilot, from the nurse to the doctor, and from the courtroom stenographer to the judge. With determination and hard work, we are all equally capable of achieving success. With the rising cost of medical care in the U.S., many people have sought out alternative treatment. The answer to this crisis for some has been the return of the midwife practice. Midwifing was a popular practice many decades ago when physicians were few and often far between. Today, midwifes care for the expecting mother and child as well as the delivery staff of a hospital. The female midwife is quickly replacing the traditional male dominated OBGYN field.

While our success can carry us to great achievements in life, we must at all times remember the words of the very respectable Barbara Walters: “Success can make you a prima donna, or it can smooth the edges, take away the insecurities, let the nice things come out.” Barbara Walters, who by the way, through courage to ask the questions that no one else would ask, took her seat high in the male-dominated journalism profession. Katie Couric recently assumed the position of the CBS News Anchor. For her, the job has been a continuation of her broadcasting career. The field of news broadcasting has been dominated by such male figures as Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, Walter Cronkite, Ed Bradley, and others of the like. To the broadcasting profession, Couric has walked through the very doorway that many attribute to Barbara Walters and her pioneering of the female in the news journalism area. Katie Couric is a fine example of success bringing out the genuine component, whereas the boss in “The Devil Wears Prada” is a prime example of power turning someone into a prim donna. Follow the advice of Barbara Walters; do great things, consider those around you, and brighten the world with female achievements.

Through this, I believe that women will one day over power the male population and reach once forbidden heights.