Christina - Fortson, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Spontaneity and I go hand and hand. Spontaneity is my best friend. He has accompanied me on all of my wildest adventures and craziest endeavors. We have cried together, laughed together, and sometimes a mixture of both. Day after day he travels in my passenger seat and makes me change my mind in a split second. To be honest, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

There are kids in my high school that have already relinquished their childhoods to a bright yellow agenda with a curly dark binding. Luckily, Spontaneity ate mine; it gave him heart burn, and I haven’t seen my agenda for quite awhile now. These kids have forgotten the fun of an impulsive bike ride to a friend’s house (They drive now); these kids have traded their beloved Keds for heels (They are much more fashionable); and these same kids are the ones who will rot in a cubicle for the rest of their lives.

Spontaneity has saved me from this tragic downfall. When I was supposed to run for highly competitive office for a local club, I decided not to go. Spontaneity and I were fishing in Mulberry Creek. To my luck, the office was a horrible position that required hours and hours of work over summer. The girl who won the office is currently bogged down with work and will never experience the cool creek water pouring over her toes, the soft Georgia red clay staining her legs, and the euphoria of catching her first fish. I will cherish that one tackle-stained Polaroid of me and my fish until the day I die

Spontaneity may sound irresponsible, but he’s not. He may be one of my best friends, but I can’t always hang out with him. I maintain a certain balance of Spontaneity throughout the week so he doesn’t get lonely or I don’t feel cheated.

Mark Twain once said, “Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.” And he is right: everyday is an adventure, an experience. Spontaneity and I adamantly believe by living each day to its fullest and maintaining a child-like innocence. A constant string of pre-arranged days can kill someone. And that in itself makes for a pre-arranged funeral. Who honestly wants to pick out their casket? Not me! Spontaneity and I will always be friends. He has allowed me to become what I am today and what I will be in the future.