Jacob - Fortson, Georgia

This I Believe…

Music is something that no one should find missing from their life. It shapes the courses of countless destinies, and has existed almost as long as humans have occupied this world. Listening is only the beginning; anyone who has ever played, sung, or written it with the slightest drop of passion can attest to its power. Music, when approached correctly, can change your life.

Almost every person alive today listens to music on daily basis, just as they would eat breakfast. Different people have different tastes in food, and the same goes for music. Many people, myself included, have done themselves the disservice of restricting their listening menu to that which is familiar and comfortable. Music can be made more fulfilling if you simply try, as I have recently, to broaden your horizons. You may find that the old masters affect you as much as your favorite modern musician. By no means should you listen to anything that you find immediately repulsive, just give different things a chance. I recently came into possession of several CDs worth of classical and jazz. At first I wasn’t too enthusiastic; I usually prefer rock. Once I actually started listening to these musicians, I couldn’t stop. They were amazing. They have changed the way that I look at music.

Those that choose the path of the musician are well acquainted with the power of music. They know that it has the power to take the audience on an amazing journey which they will carry with them forever. What many do not realize is the importance of diversity within a repertoire. As a saxophonist, I play classical music and marches most often. This gets monotonous after a short time, and I began looking for something new. With the help of my band directors, I was soon up to my eyes in jazz and ragtime. They brought back my enthusiasm for the saxophone. That is not the end of my recent foray into musical diversity. Rock is slowly working its way into my material. I received a guitar for Christmas, and, with an enthusiasm that even I didn’t expect, began learning to play it. Though I am still a novice, I have begun to play a few more complex tunes; this satisfies me to no end.

Shakespeare once called music “the food of the soul”. That is as close as anyone can come to describing its true nature, I suppose. Music is amazing; a life without it is hardly worthwhile. This I believe…