Jim - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: change

Change is for the Better

I believe in change. When I was a little, I remember every day, after just coming home from school, seeing my parents cuddling each other and laughing. They laughed like they were meant to be together. They laughed like it was their first time seeing each other from a long distance, years of waiting. But now, laughing has turned to arguing. At times when life is at its worst stage, change is only the answer.

I could remember those happy, joyful days, sitting in my room watching T.V, minding my own business. I would bring my friends over for dinner and see my parents joking around and hear my friends whisper, “Your parents are the coolest parents in the world. I wish my parents were like that.” Just hearing that made me feel so happy and I felt that I was the luckiest kid in the world. I had fun and had the time of my life like most ordinary kids. But all those days were long gone, disappeared like they were never coming back.

My parents got divorced when I was ten years old. I was young; I didn’t know what divorce meant. I saw my dad leave the house with his suitcase, and I asked my mom where he was going. She replied, “He’s leaving for a while to visit grandma because she is sick.” I asked her when he was coming back, she quietly said, with tears dripping down

from her eyes, “I don’t know.” I knew something was definitely wrong right at that moment, but I just couldn’t see it.

Each and every day passed; I waited, and waited, but my dad didn’t come home. I could remember sitting next to the door and then hearing the door bell ring; I would jump up excitedly and yell, “Its dad!” But when my mom opened the door, it was only the mailman. My mom finally told me my dad wasn’t coming back; I knew he wasn’t.

A few years after my dad left, my mom got married. I had never seen her as happy as when she met my step-dad, Abdul. Before, I rarely saw her put make up on or talk to someone with confidence. It was something about her transformation that made me realize that, in the worst of times, people can change and transform themselves into a better person.

To be honest, I thank my parents for getting a divorce. They taught me the true values of life. They taught me that in order to be happy with oneself, one has to give or sacrifice for one another.

When I see my mom crying for hours in her bedroom, I whisper to myself, “Change is for the better. When I recall those treacherous hours when my parents argued, they reminded me “Change is for the better.” And when I see my mom laughing and cuddling with my step-dad, I know, and I deeply know, that change is definitely for the better. This I believe.