Stephanie - Arundel, Maine

Power of words

Age: 16

I believe in the power of words.

Have you ever had anything like a death or horrible incident happen to you? I have. I believe that if you write things out, and take some time to go through all of the hard memories, you can get past how horrible it was for you. I believe that writing is the best therapy. When I talk about something, it doesn’t come out the way I want it. When I write it, I can tell my story, and tell it in a way most people can understand.

When my mother passed away, I had major depression. I would always hide my frown with a smile, a cover-up. It would always work for me, and no one ever questioned a smile. When I couldn’t handle all of the dreams and the separation of being away from my mother, I snapped. I didn’t talk to people, and had thoughts about death frequently. When my closest friends found out what was happening, they got worried. They told me to make a journal, so that night I did. I realized writing all my feelings down had helped me.

Writing stories about my own happenings, and writing them with similes and metaphors, really changed my perspective about the whole thing. For me writing is a thing I have to do. I do better writing things, and sharing them with my friends, rather than speaking them. I feel that the way I write I can explain things more easily for the reader. I can hold them in suspense, make them cry, or make them sad. By them reading my feelings and thoughts about certain things, they can relate to me with their own story. They know what I have been through, and in turn, know me a lot better than they thought they did.

The power of words is amazing. Words can explain love, faith, hope, grief, suspense, nervousness, everything if you have the imagination and potential to put your mind to doing it. For some people, writing comes as a challenge, but writing doesn’t have to be fancy. You don’t need metaphors, similes, imagery, or anecdotes. All you need are the emotions and the material to put power into your words.