Genny - Hamilton, Georgia

No matter how much I complain, I know that middle school is fun for no one. I had some good friends and even more enemies, but I knew that once middle school was over, high school would be a different story.

I believe in making true friends. I believe in letting unconditional love rule over everything else. If it weren’t for these three friends, my life today would be empty and full of apathy. For the sake of life, I believe in friendship.

On the first day of high school, I walked into the gym after and hour and a half long ride on the bus. Not my ideal way to start the say, to say the least. I expected to just walk in, sit down, go to classes, and go home. I was not expecting anyone to talk to me.

Well, I was wrong. On my way to the first class, two girls turned around as one said, “Hi! Are you new?” At first, I didn’t know whether to run for my life or simply respond. Seeing as how her tone was more than welcoming, I replied with a simple, “Yes” and proceeded to introduce myself. The two girls also introduced themselves and kindly pointed me in the direction of my class. I left with a feeling that I had entered some alternate universe where everyone was nice all the time.

I was then introduced to more people and they all surprisingly seemed to like me. After that first week, my freshman year was a breeze. School was great and I suddenly didn’t worry about people liking me.

My sophomore year was even better. Due to a certain French teacher, I met some extremely amazing people. The four of us just seemed to “click.” We started hanging out a lot and soon became pretty much inseparable.

The summer after my sophomore year is what I consider the turning point of my high school experience so far. Those three friends made a point to see me over the summer. We actually kept in touch. I honestly expected to sign some year books and never see those people again and just move on with my life. Due to the circumstances, I think that God had a different plan in mind. Now, it’s the end of my junior year and I have already made plans with these people for after high school. Growing out of reach is now completely impossible and that security is the most encouraging feeling I’ve ever had in my life.

These friends are the ones who I went to with tear-smeared make-up because I completely embarrassed myself in choir, or because I wanted to complain about something completely unnecessary. They are the ones who promised that I would never feel like I couldn’t talk to someone when I was upset, just because it might be four o’clock in the morning. These are the friends that I spend five hours in the parking lot with after school and we do absolutely nothing but sit, talk and enjoy each other’s company. Somehow, the most memorable moments occur on these days, whether we’re laughing so hard that we cry, or vice versa.

Only God knows what the future holds in store for me or my friends. All I know is that if true friendship makes the present as great as it is now, then the future can only get better.