Ashley - Fortson, Georgia

I Believe in Family

Difficult situations often arise in our day-to-day lives. We are forced to make a choice based on what we have been taught. Our parents play a large part in basing those decisions. After all, they are the prime figures that surround us as we mature. Whether we like it or not, they are our greatest role models. I am a firm believer in sharing your life with the ones you love. I must always remember to appreciate my family as well. It is important for me to share my feelings, predicaments, and most importantly, my time with them. When they offer me advice, I should trust them. They are looking out for my best interest.

The worst thing I can do to my parents is betray them. I can think of incidents where I blew up over an argument. Feelings were hurt. No thoughts were left unsaid. I felt relentlessly unpleasant afterwards. The look on my mother’s face when I told her I hated her. How can I continue living this way? Of course I did not mean what was said. I was upset that’s all. One thing we as adolescents must remember is that our parents have feelings too, and quite possibly, those are the most important feelings we should respect.

I also believe that adolescents are obligated to spend time with their parents, and they should enjoy it to an extent. Our young adulthood is filled with dates, parties, soccer games, and the lesser important time to “hangout” with friends. In the end, is it really worth sacrificing one occasional family night? I often find myself in these situations. It is a battle between friends and family; a battle between your first instinct and your better judgment. I know the option I should be choosing. But I also know that I would rather hangout with my friends instead of watching my “lame” family embarrass me at CiCi’s Pizza. But a few years down the road, will the decision to interact with those high school friends that I barely speak to now make up for the neglected family I wished I spent more time with? Is it worth missing my little brother’s first high school soccer game for a date with the quarterback who could potentially dump me for the class president the following week? This may seem like an extreme and rare scenario, but it makes a good point. I believe parents and family members should come first. They should be put above all else because they are the ones there for you in the end, no matter what the circumstances.