Brooke - Forton, Georgia
Themes: setbacks

I Believe In Roller Coasters

I believe in roller coasters. In the beginning, the ride slowly intensifies to the top; the excitement bit by bit is rising. In certain points in a person’s life and especially mine; life could be similar to a roller coaster. Life could be going great by having the “perfect” family, the “right” boyfriend, the nice car, and the best friends. I hit the very peak of the ride called Life and I think everything is astonishing.

The real ride has begun unexpectedly and I most hold on for dear life. The ride gradually is slow. But then it picks up to a rapid motion. Life takes me down to the lowest point in the valleys locating where a divorce comes unexpectedly, a sharp turn resulting from the death of a young cousin, the nauseating heartbreak after the loss of the a long time love. The whole time on this ride I think: When is this ride going to be over? When can I stop screaming, crying, and laughing all at the same time? This emotion has visited me many times before. Whether it was when I heard those words, “I think we should be friends”, or when I found out he really just meant “leave me alone”. Or the times where this emotion would rock me to sleep while bickering could be heard throughout the night.

I’ve reached the last valley and I’ve climbed to the highest peak on the ride, and gradually in the horizon I begin to see the smiling faces of others around me. I hear the laughter and I see the EXIT sign. Leaving life’s ride, I wake up to the love in my household instead of animosity. I venture out and meet new individuals who want to be more than friends and who cause me to feel blessed about what God has given me.