Katherine - Mitchell, South Dakota

I believe in taking pictures, capturing moments that can never be relived. I believe there is no such thing as “camera happy.” If someone who is camera shy says, “Don’t take my picture, I’ll break the camera,” take crazy faced pictures with them because they usually just need more laughter in their life.

When my grampa died, we had to find pictures of him for the wake and funeral. After digging through boxes and boxes of pictures I realized that we must have forgotten to take pictures or were too busy to take them because I couldn’t find many pictures of my grampa in the past eight years or so. I don’t need a hard copy picture to remember what he looked like, but I wish I had a picture for every memory so just in case a day came that I couldn’t remember what we did on a certain day.

I started a journal just to make sure I never forget the things that mean the most to me, but like the familiar proverb, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” This means that a picture is more influential than a substantial amount text.

Ever since the funeral I always carry my camera with me, and I take pictures of everything. It’s so much easier to explain an experience to other people when I show them pictures that were taken.

For example, catching my friend during a drunken moment, and then showing her the next day what happened was priceless. We will continue to laugh about those pictures forever as a moment in time preserved forever in a picture.