Hannah - Oakland, Michigan

Scavenger for a Family

While up north with my friend and her family, we went on a scavenger hunt. Not lame scavenger hunts, where kids run off to find trinkets in the grass so adults can talk. I mean a real, hardcore scavenger hunt. We broke up into equal, color-coordinated teams and given a bag, containers, and a Polaroid camera. The tasks we completed were outrageous. We stacked the team into a pyramid for a Polaroid, canoed across a river to retrieve a ribbon, and hurried to be the first to finish before dinner. Running beside my friends’ various aunts, uncles and cousins reminded me of my own family.

My family is extremely close. I daresay one of my cousins is my best friend, if not my sister. We see each other every week, sometimes more. When I think of how much my family means to me and how close other’s are to their families, I know what I truly believe in. I believe in family. The scavenger hunt up north made the trip even more fun and significant. Your family is always there for you. Many people everyday take part in a scavenger hunt of life, searching for a functional family. My family, on the other hand, has always and will always mean the world to me.

Trying to imagine life without my family proves to be impossible. They are my life. I believe the power of a family is stronger than any other type of bond that is formed throughout life. If everyone had a family to go home to, or to support them and take care of them, then this world would have far fewer problems.

Life is so much easier when you have a group of close people supporting you, whether they are supporting you to excel in life, or to take a picture of a bird’s nest. Families that are close-knit have more than just each other. They have a bond that enables them to try new things and not feel foolish. As I travel through schools and life, I will accumulate different, and more than one “best friend.” My favorite pair of jeans will eventually be grown out of. However, the people I call my family, the people I come home to everyday and who support me through life, they will be there forever.