Sarah - Saco, Maine
Themes: respect

I Believe people should be less Judgmental

Have you ever entered a room with a bunch of people you don’t know, then as you walk in you hear whispers and receive weird stares? Or have you simply made fun of someone just because they’re different? Face it, we’ve all been victims, whether you were the perpetrator or the harmless victim being teased. And I can assure you that it doesn’t feel good inside to be made fun of for being who you are and what you stand for. I believe that people in today’s society should be less judgmental and not stereotype one another. It seems like everybody bases a person’s personality solely by his or her race, appearance, clothes, music, and other such factors.

So why are people so judgmental? I know it’s not just women, so don’t say it’s because we’re catty. Men too are very judgmental and criticize people. What does it matter who has a big nose or has too many piercings, and why does it need to be pointed out? Yeah, you’d notice it, but let it go. I know I criticize when it comes to people acting suggestively in public or on TV, because I don’t like it, but how do you explain someone being made fun of for having a missing arm? Wearing dark clothing? Having frizzy hair? Walking funny? Do we take solace in other’s people’s faults and sufferings?

The answer is yes. Most people find pleasure in judging people because they are usually insecure about themselves, and they have to focus on everyone else’s faults and sufferings, so they can distract themselves from their own. Also people don’t understand that we are all connected. They don’t understand that thought is creative, and that what you do to/for another, you do to/for yourself. When people THINK they are separate from others, they feel different from others, and isolated, which causes them to be fearful of those who are different. Being judgmental is acting on this fear. The truth is, none of us are separate from anyone else. When a person understands this, they do not act out of fear and they are not judgmental.

If you look around, people mock and tease the unknown, and truthfully it’s never going to end. There are many forms in which people are judgmental. It’s sadly becoming a common act nowadays. Whether its because you’re too short or tall, too skinny or fat, being of a different race, or having different styles. I really don’t understand why people act the way they do. They just need a slap in the face and check into reality. We shouldn’t be self-conscious or question ourselves just because of what some people think of us. Let them be judgmental, but don’t give in, because then you’re just starting the cycle over again. As for the rest, they will stop when the media, that they so blindly follow, tells them that they need to be ashamed for being judgmental. In a millennium or two perhaps. This I believe.