Cori - Harbor Springs, Michigan

This I Believe…

When saying something like “my life sucks,” or “this isn’t fair,” my dad would tell me “Your life is what you make it.” Never believing him, I always thought if my life was going bad, I sure didn’t have control over anything, especially my choices. Taking the time to evaluate what he told me, I came to believe what my dad said; our lives are what we make them, we hold our own destiny. Love and you will be loved; hate and you will be hated. I have the power to make my own choices; thus, I have the power to make my life what I want it to be.

I have the choice whether or not I get out of bed in the morning. I choose to do this so I can further my education. I could choose not to, but my life would never get any better. No one wants their life to be crappy. I believe that I have the choice of whether I want to be happy or sad. Choosing to make better choices in my life I have been able to become happier, smiling more often and enjoying what I do have. What would the world be like if it was filled with nothing but hate, jealousy, and self pity? It wouldn’t be pretty at all. At one point or another I’m sure everyone has thought that their life couldn’t get any worse. Three years ago I was there. From anyone’s view, my life seemed fine. They were unable to see behind the mask I wore, blind to the addiction I was fighting for over four years. I could never admit to anyone, especially myself, that I had a problem. It all changed for me when I hit “rock bottom”. I could see the damage it was causing me and the people I loved. I was on the verge of losing it all: my life, my freedom and most importantly, my son. This was my chance to change and see what I wasn’t all along; my life was my choice, no one else’s. I have the power in my hands to make it good or bad. I believe that having that choice and knowing I have it, has only helped my life. My choice to make a better life for me and my son has only brought on happiness in both of our lives. My dad never gave up one letting me know I have a choice, this I am great full for. There are things that I still have no control over, but I do have control over my choices. I choose to believe that we hold our own destiny. We shape our own stars.