Nicholas - Austin, Texas
Themes: death

Last year my grandfather passed away. I never really got to get close to him, but my mother was. The thing that broke me down the most was to see my mother cry, I had never seen my mother cry before that; the strongest person that I know is my mother and what are you supposed to do when your hero sees defeat?

I believe this: everyone faces death, stress, and pain, and for some, it is harder than others. I feel that the more that a person has to endure only makes them stronger than the next.

It seems as though throughout the past few years that I have battled many hardships, throwing me in and out of depression and other mixed emotions. I have never been one to let anyone know that I was down; I just solved my problems by myself. I feel that my battles have shown me that there is always going to be a rocky road, and just when you think that life going great, you fall down again.

As of right now, my life is the most stressful it has ever been, because I am graduating in a week, and I don’t know if I’m really ready for the real world. To my friends and family, they would never know that I’m ready to give up. I feel that if I stop working now, and quit school, then what? Sit here and feel like a failure? No, I keep on pushing, and striving to graduate, and go to college in the fall.

While paging through other “This I Believe” articles, it has made me ponder about what I believe. I found some inspiration from Wayne Coyne’s essay, He stated, “Happiness is not a situation to be longed for or a convergence of lucky happenstance. Through the power of our own minds, we can help ourselves.”

Upon reading this, I had an epiphany; I realized that people could be depressed, because it is just a phase and life moves on. You have to discover your own happiness in life, and when it gets tough, you just have to keep on metaphorically trucking through life.

Going back, thinking about how hard it was to see my mother in such despair, I remembered that this thought has struck me before. Soon after my grandfather’s passing, I was walking around outside, writing a poem about nature, and I realized that people and things die, and in turn, new ones rise; it is part of the circle of life.

Through the thick and thin, through easy times, through difficult times, I know that I will remain content, because life is a very beautiful thing. This I believe.