Natalie - Burke, Virginia
Themes: love, setbacks

I believe there could be no sunshine without rain. Not only is it physically impossible for the earth to produce only one or the other, but humans would not be able to live on a planet with only one type of weather. Imagine living in constant rain. There would be no motivation to go to work or to play outside because getting wet is an inconvenience. Now consider permanent sunshine. This seems like a better alternative than the previous scenario except for one small problem. People get bored easily. While a world without rain would get more accomplished and there would be more opportunities to do outdoor activities, people would not value one beautiful day from the next. Some of my favorite activities include playing volleyball when it is warm and bright outside and working on my summer tan. When it rains, I relax by reading a book and listening to the raindrops hitting the roof. Both sunshine and rain are part of living a fulfilling life.

Various relationships throughout my life have led me through patches of sunlight and rain. When I was sixteen years old, I thought I had found the love of my life. We were good friends since grade school so it was not a surprise when our friendship flourished into romance. He was the tall, dark-haired boy who got kicked out of school and got into trouble on a regular basis but could hold an intelligent conversation and loved his cat. For those months together, I only saw sunshine. I failed to see the ominous skies that were looming in the distance. After we broke up, it rained for weeks.

Time passed and my heart ached but I had to move on. I studied more to keep my grades up and got a part-time job. I spent more time with the friends I had ignored throughout the duration of my failed relationship. The rain soon began to cease and I grew happier. Months later, I began a relationship with someone who had been in the background of my life for a couple years. Together we learned and are still learning that happiness and hardships are facts of life. The rain comes by every so often but I just wait it out, knowing that the sun is bound to shine again.