Brandon - Virginia Beach, Virginia

Rock Out Don’t Stress Out

Many people’s lives are engulfed with pressures from work, school, and even family. This pressure soon turns into stress which can be a major hazard on ones health. However, I believe that music is the cure to the problem of stress. Music is one of the most relaxing things ever put in this world, and it does wonders when you are stressed out and don’t know how to deal with problems in life.

The best example I have for this is from two years ago on Fathers Day. My mom had planned a huge dinner consisting of fresh lobster and grilled shrimp. While sitting down for dinner my mom had brought up the topic of my senor pictures being the next day. This was the first time that I had heard anything about this and told her there was no possible way I would be able to make it because I had work. My step dad Charlie, who I have never liked, decided that he would join in the conversation and say, “your job doesn’t matter, and you can always find another summer job.”

I became really defensive because I loved my job and I would have no reason to quit just to have my picture taken. However, Charlie stuck to his point of view and my mom jumped on the bandwagon with him. As I saw that my family was turned against me I got very frustrated and turned to Charlie. I shouted, “You have made my life miserable for years, and I don’t want to deal with you any longer so just get out of my life!” Once I had said this I stood up and walked out of the house to go take a drive and calm down while listening to music. When I came back neither my mom nor Charlie would say a word to me.

However, I had cooled off enough to say sorry for what I had said and that it was out of line. Though I did not agree with his side of the argument still, I did not want my stress to get the best of me. To this day Charlie and I don’t say more then a few words a week to each other. I know that if I didn’t have music to calm me down enough to say my little apology that things could have ended up a lot worse.

Music has saved me more then once and I don’t think I will ever find a better cure when I need to mellow out. For me it’s not only a stress reliever, but also a life saver when things get hard. The calm that comes over me when I listen to music is as though I have left all my problems behind and everything is perfect, and I’m sure it’s the same for many other people in the world.