Chris - Chesapeake, Virginia

This I believe

I believe in something that most would call rationality. The way I view life is quite

simple. Things are how you see them. We are all alone in our own way no matter how we

as individuals look at it, and the thought of someone out there who supposedly watches

over us and protects us is a very irrational way of viewing life.

I have no conflict in relation to the ways others feel about life and god, and I in no

way wish to challenge or change their beliefs. But I view life differently and believe there

is no one who looks out for you besides yourself and perhaps your loved ones. Do I hate

god or the idea of god? Of course not! I just tend to look at life more rationally.

I believe in things that I can taste, touch, see, etc. mainly for the obvious

reason being that they are actually there. You should not have to put faith in something

that you love and that you believe so strongly in. The things or people that you love

should be amongst you and be able to comfort you.

As a young boy I attended church services with my family and at one point in my life

I was religious. As I matured and grew to learn that all my childhood fantasies ceased to

exist such as Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, etc., I began to wonder if even god was real.

As my older relatives and loved ones perished even after I spent several nights knelt

down by my bedside praying to god to spare them for just a short while, I began to

question my faith.

Depending on no one but yourself and things that you can see and trust is my motto. If

we all believe in something and depend on its supposed guidance and protection then

how will we ever become strong, independent, and learn how to better ourselves as

Beliefs belong to the individual and that’s something no one can ever take away. I

choose to live my life as a rationalist. If you can’t see it, then it simply just isn’t there.

Everything I believe in is amongst me, and I can choose to believe in many things such as

happiness, friendship, and love. These things I know are real or at least seem to be real to

me in my conscious mind.

The simple qualities of life are the most important things to have faith in and cherish

because they are things that you can embrace and behold. You don’t have to trust or

believe that they are there when you have no concrete evidence what so ever, because

they are there right before your eyes, and the feelings that come from these senses are

comforting enough to make you believe. I have faith in myself as an individual, and in

those whom I truly love, and that as all the faith I need in this world.