Colton - Arlington, Virginia

Truth Through Expression

the image of a flower, gently swaying in an evening breeze is beautiful and calming, soothing to the senses. An image of a war-torn battleground is powerful, moving and deep in it’s picture and message. The image of a woman sitting, mid smile is intriguing and thought provoking, looking pleased and distressed at the same time and eliciting contemplation and deep thought from her viewers. Art is capable of drawing all forms of emotion and feeling from anyone it views, as well as a wide range of thought, idea and even inspiration. What about art does this? Why do some pieces of art act on people more powerfully than other works of their genre or image? I believe it is because of what the artist can do, something that no other aspect of society can claim. I believe in the ability of an artist to bare themselves in each work, and the power of expression through art.

I pride myself on being a mildly skilled artist; I can draw something and people will understand what it is most of the time, and I have developed it to a degree where it represents a small part of myself. Any artistic form, if emphasized and practiced, can only begin to reflect the person performing it in some regard. I would normally draw images of fantasy players, women, warriors of any kind; overall I prefer to draw people in various poses, outfits and activities. I have been told my art portrays a softer side of the subject, as well as a childish and playful side. This is representative of me in each picture I draw. I treasure this ability, for I am terribly shy, and have a hard time making friends; yet at the same time, I desire friends who accept me for me, ones who will never ask me to change. My art shows who I am, shows me through all lies and doubt. It allows me to be who I am to whomever I may show it to, and not have to say a word or even be in the vicinity. I can honestly say that almost every friend I have made enjoys my art, and I can fully say that each of my friends is as close to me as the next. My friends are by no means all artists, and I do not mean to imply that. But they see and enjoy my art, and when they do, I know that they will like me, for my art shows me in my most exposed state, all my personality and tastes. Because I know they like my art, I know that they will like me. I have a medium of expression of my innermost self, so people know and understand me. I may not appeal to every one or every aspect of society, but the intensity of the bonds I have made with the people I do appeal to makes up for it in droves.

I would think this would be a good example to people, especially anyone who cares to have good friends. Hiding the truth can only breed pain in the long run, people need to feel comfortable expressing themselves to one another, letting people know and understand them. The more people can learn this, the smoother society will run. I think society has gotten to a point where they’re afraid of the truth, in any form. But I express my true side, I show my true colors every day, and I say what I mean and what I think. Maybe I’m too honest, but my wonderful friends could tell you differently.