Stacy - Suffolk, Virginia

I sometimes wonder why good and bad things happen in my life. I wonder why my mother has a terminal illness and why my parents are no longer together when they obviously still care deeply about each other. I wonder why I act like nothing bothers me when it really does. I wonder why and how I have came so far in life successfully. I wonder why my best friend’s life was taken away so soon. Some things I wonder about have answers and others I will probably never figure out. I do believe that regardless of what the situation, everything happens for a reason, which is usually for the better. It took major heart-break for me to realize that this is true.

This past year many events took place that altered my perspective on life. My mother has been living with multiple sclerosis for years. This past year she had experimental surgery and has been in and out of the hospital. The torture that she is going through has put my family through an emotional and stressful period. My parents are no longer together which adds extra stress to the lives of those close to me. Last Easter death plagued my life. My great-grandfather died at the age of eighty nine, leaving behind a wife, children, grand-children, and great-grand children. A week later a good friend of mine was hit by a car while trying to save an injured dog that was lying in the highway. Her whole family and her boyfriend saw the tragic events. A few days after her funeral my grandmother, on my dad’s side of the family, died in her sleep. Upon starting college, I found out that my boyfriend of two years had cheated on me. I was left in complete confusion about life. Although these unfortunate things have happened, they all serve their purpose in life, even if we don’t know the answers yet.

I know that those who died are now in a better place. My mother’s illness has made me a more compassionate, responsible person. After the ending of my relationship I discovered myself. I realized that our relationship was not the fairy tale that I thought it was. Maybe the root of our problems was my inability to express my feelings. I began doing things that I enjoyed such as fishing, volunteering, and getting involved in church activities again.

Despite the hardships in life, everything has worked out for the better. I look at the brighter side of things; I am in college, I have a wonderful part-time job, I still have my mother in my life, and I started a new relationship. I truly believe that everything in life has a reason because of all the things that have happened to me this past year.