Alexander - Brunswidk, Georgia

The Lakota people say, “Taku ki lena yuwanka bluze” (These things I uphold). I believe that we are one among many. Mi takuye oyasin (All my relations).

My father, “Big Buffalo” told me that a smart man is not the one with all the answers. What if the answers are wrong? My father told me that the truly smart man is the one who surrounds himself with smart people. He is the man who listens to the words of the elders. From those words I learn. When the Wisdom Keepers speak of the end coming soon and of the danger that Mother Earth is in, I pay close attention. When they speak of the Creator and being one among many, I listen.

I decided to figure out my own truth, to stop blindly accepting the words of others. I have chosen to work toward what is best for all. I have chosen to hear the silent scream of Mother Earth. All of the plant nation, finned-ones, shelled-ones, four–leggeds, winged-ones, bite-ems, creepy-crawlies, every man, woman and child will be impacted unless something is done about the exploitation of Mother Earth, each other, and the lack of regard for generations unborn.

I believe that hope lies in stepping away from the pervasive, overriding hunger for material possessions, ownership of nature and assumption of power and control. I have no real power. Real power comes from unification. Real power comes from the Creator. Real power is the Creator. I realize that I do however have the potential for tremendous strength. The greatest strength comes from generosity and gentleness. I determine how strong I will be.

Eagles have come to visit the place where I live. Yesterday, I watched them circling high in the sky, gliding in gentle sweeping circles. I was reminded to see like my winged relatives. Today, I see beyond myself, my life and what affects only me. I see that the time to act is right now. Where there was grass, now there is dust. Rivers run black with disease and pollution. Now, I see the Warriors of the Rainbow. I see that now is the time for working toward the good of all and not for the bounty of a few. I see myself walking the Red Road. Now, it is not about being right. It is about being kind. Mi takuye oyasin. I see that now is the time to teach children about what it means to walk their chosen path in a good way, the Red Road. They are the Grandfathers and Grandmothers, the Wisdom Keepers of generations to come.

I am no better than my brothers are. I am no better than my sisters are. We are just different. Each is a part of the other. Each is a part of the same. We are one among many. Taku ki lena yuwanka bluze (These things I uphold). Aho! Mi takuye oyasin. (All my relations)