Denise - Miller Place, New York
Themes: creativity, love

Do you have a certain song that reminds you of your significant other, or your friends, a song that triggers a memory? A familiar melody makes memories dance through my head, giving me a sense of nostalgia. I believe that music can bring people together in a way that nothing else can. Life is music, it has its own movements, highs and lows; it can be beautiful, but at times not suit your taste. My appreciation for musicians and music has always been great, but the past year it has grown as fast as a weed spreads through a garden. A director, David Kramer, under whom I study musical theater, has always made it a point to teach that music and song, as well as art forms in general, are used to express feeling when words simply are not good enough. The first time I experienced this was last year, April 13th. I was at my friend’s house for the first time. He kept telling me that he had written a song that he wanted to show me. Whenever I hear of someone writing a song or having any kind of musical talent I allow the green-eyed monster to consume my mind for a briefly because I’ve always wanted to be musical. This was a boy I had liked for months, and I hoped and was led to believe he might feel the same way. As soon as he began playing the melody on the acoustic guitar, I was impressed. The melody was honest and pure; as sweet as a bird’s song. He began singing, softly at first, he sounded nervous. As the song progressed it crescendoed and his voice became louder and more confident. The memory is still vivid. My eyes were glued to him (metaphor), and my ears were deaf to any sound other than his voice and the guitar. The song itself told a story of a boy who noticed a girl who seemed different, became friends with her, and couldn’t stop thinking about her from then on. His words were strung together like pearls on a necklace…it was beautiful but simple. When his finished playing, I told him how wonderful I thought it was, but I couldn’t help being paranoid and wondering; was the song for me or another lucky girl? My question was answered later that night when he and I were standing in his backyard together, just the two of us. He told me that the song he wrote was about me. My heart stopped momentarily…I told him that it was sweetest thing anyone’s ever done for me. We hugged and shared our first kiss that warm spring night beneath the stars. He later told me that he wrote the song because he needed something more than just words to explain his feelings to me. Now, a year later, whenever he plays the song for me, I still get butterflies, and am reminded of how music brought my boyfriend and me together.