Malyka - Yeadon, Pennsylvania

Blow Away Your Troubles

When I was five, I used to love to run outside and play with my bubbles. Whenever I pulled out my bubble wand I felt like I had not a care in the world. It did not faze me that I was getting bubble solution on my clothes or that some of the solution was trickling into my mother’s garden. I was in my own world of, and I never wanted it to end. I am now eighteen years old, and when troubles arise, I pull out my bubble wand. I believe that bubbles are the perfect stress reliever.

I am coming to the end of my freshman year of college, and it has been filled with several ups and downs. I have a D in math, I am homesick, I barely sleep, and my parent’s have too much faith in me. I tried to resolve my problems in “adult” manners such as talking them out. I told my mother about my D, and in her most comforting voice she said, “ You’ll get it together; you have to because if you don’t get a 3.2 there goes your scholarship.” Her words did not comfort me at all; therefore I had to result to my trusty bubbles.

I pulled out my wand and began blowing. As each bubble drifted into the air, so did my problems. I instantly reverted back to my five-year old self, and watched all of my problems fly and pop away. I was carefree and I loved it. I reverted back to my youth and again, I did not care that the bubble solution was landing on my clothes or on the grass behind my dorm. At that moment I just cared about watching the bubbles drift away. When I finished, I had a better outlook on the situation. I could now face my problems open-mindedly and free of negativity. The bubbles helped me gain the serenity that I needed. They gave me a small break from the world, which, I need every once in awhile. As juvenile as they may seem, bubbles are truly helpful in relieving stress and maybe if more people engaged in this act then the world would not be in its current state. If George Bush pulled out his bubble wand, maybe our country would not be at war. If James Earl Ray would have blown bubbles, maybe he would have decided against assassinating Martin Luther King Jr. The CEOs of the major oil companies should all run out and blow bubbles together and maybe our gas prices would not be creeping to outrageous amounts. If people utilized bubbles, I think the world would definitely benefit.