Charlie - Norfolk, Virginia

What does it take to be successful? Dedication, hard work, and excellence. We as Americans need someone or something to look up to in order to lift our spirits when times are difficult. One prime example of something Americans looked up to during the early 1920’s was the success of the famous baseball team, the New York Yankees. They have made a name for themselves by doing all the different aspects that makes a team a winner. I believe dedication, hard work, and excellence are all virtues Americans look to when times are hard.

In the country we live in today loosing is no option. Our country’s pride is way to high to accept anything but success. Back in the early 1920’s during the depression is when baseball first started to erupt. Many Americans looked to baseball because times were so hard; the United States was in a depression, and there was a war going on. During this time the Yankees were a huge powerhouse winning multiple titles by having dominant players and excellent coaching. The Yankees had big name players like Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Bera and many others. These players were heroes to people of that time period. Americans found excitement in the Yankees success and were very pleased to have these role models there to lift their spirits. This gave them something to look forward to during the depression era. The Yankees pretty much got America through this hard time. Baseball and the Yankees especially helped people mentally get away from all the hardship in the 1920’s.

This baseball team pretty much shows us that America loves winning and being successful and these are things our country strives. Many people as well as our country learned a lot about themselves by watching the Yankees play ball and being able to relate to them. Americans learned that even though times were rough and the economy was at an all time low and money was limited they could still find success. Although our country at that time was not too successful the Yankees gave people a sense of pride needed to keep fueling people to go on and make our country as successful as it is today. This New York team was definitely a role model that many Americans followed to get through these difficult times in U.S. history.