peter - schiller park, Illinois

Choices. This is a simple word that we all think we have figured out. Whether to brush our teeth or not. Whether to do our homework or not. However, a thing as simple as the concept of choices, I believe, separates the sincere side of us from the sinister.

It is said that morals, that good and evil are relative. “There are no absolutes” say people that subscribe to this moral relativity. Personally, I don’t know if I have a very logical reason as to why I believe that there are moral absolutes and good and evil. My reason is that I think that God put down the rights and wrongs; the absolutes in this world. I also believe God gave us something to show us the right and wrong.

I always knew when I was doing something wrong; I have the deep down voice that quietly warns me that I’m doing something wrong. It’s called a conscience; I still have yet to meet some one who doesn’t have one. Moral relativism says that we evolved this conscience as a social “fail safe” to protect society from harm. I think that it was put there for a purpose. It is there to warn us that there are absolutes, there are things such as morals and they aren’t figments of a social consciousness trying to preserve itself.

Now, we do have the power to choose a side. One day we might just say, “I’m going to steal that iPod.” That shows the free will aspect. I remember when I had to choose which way to follow, I had the decision of keeping two hundred dollars that I found in my brothers desk or not, I already knew the right and wrong and I was probably only about six. Now granted, you can be indoctrinated a lot by the time that you’re six but do you really think that my parents or anybody would have to tell me that taking thing’s that don’t belong to me, especially a lot of money, is wrong? Of course not.

Obviously, we know when we are doing something that is wrong, some people are simply better at quieting that inner voice than others. Yet in the end, it does come down to a choice. In the end, no one can make you choose to go with your conscience. Since people do not go with their conscience all of the time, moral relativity comes into the picture.

A group of Anthropologists can be chatting one day at a café about how disgusting the habits of a cannibalistic tribe in Africa are. The next they can be preaching in the pulpit of the classroom, that morals serve society only as long as society deems fit and that each and every person should deem what is right for them selves. Now that’s the very irony of the situation. Those cannibals chose what is right for them selves and yet any normal person would condemn them.

Yet people would still subscribe to “doing what feels right”. Well those cannibals were “doing what feels right” and yet they would be put on death row in any civilized country that preaches that there are no absolutes and that you should find out for your self what your right things and good things are.

There are moral absolutes; although it does come down to your conscious decision to choose right. This I believe.