Sandhya - Bellevue, Washington

Black or White? What does it matter?

What is the difference between black and white? Isn’t white just the color of sallow skin that doesn’t get any sun? Isn’t black the color people are becoming when they mindlessly tan themselves? I don’t think anyone has pondered over these questions, but I have. People out there, whether white or black, or any other color do the same things, work at the same places and even look the same. Both have eyes, a nose, a mouth, and even two ears. What is so different other than the color? Why should color matter? As a white, people go to beaches on hot sunny days, and lie down on a beach chair and just tan. These people get darker – not necessarily black, but you get the point. Instead of criticizing the color of a “black” person’s skin, a “white” should be admiring it – they seem to be admiring it, considering the amount of UV Radiation going on (tanning)…

I am speaking through experience, when I say: “It’s not fun to be criticized for the color of one’s skin.” When I was four years old, I moved from Everett, Washington to London, England. I lived there for about five years. Some would say how lucky I am to have lived in Europe, but I wouldn’t agree with that person. In England, people are racists. They have nothing better to do, then pin-point who is “one of them”, and who is different. School was a nightmare. Unlike here in the US, I had no friends at all. I would always be made fun of for the color of my skin. A girl at my school once said, “I’m not inviting you to my birthday party because you’re black!” She sneered at me, like I was some lowly person who didn’t even deserve to walk in the same room as her. I didn’t care about going to her party at all. I wouldn’t have gone even if I was invited. I did care though, that she thought I was black.

There are no blacks in this world, and there are no whites. Actually, there shouldn’t be any comparison between skin colors. Who really cares? Has anyone taken a piece of black paper, or anything of the color black, and put it against their skin? If a so called “black” put something black against their skin, there IS a difference. Same goes with a “white”. If one were to put a white piece of paper against their skin, it wouldn’t match. The colors are completely different. So what color-blind, crazed person started these ridiculous words: “blacks” and “whites”? There are stereotypes of blacks being gangsters, and whites being respectable business people, but these are only stereotypes. People are actually trying to make these stereotypes come true instead of believing otherwise.

I believe that all people are equal, and nothing or no one can ever change that. I am hoping, that in the future, people will think before they speak and realize that what they are doing is wrong.