Luis - baltimore, Maryland
Themes: family, illness

My grandmother who was really my father’s godmother, raised him from a small child with his god father, her husband. They were both very close and important to me and we spent a lot of time together as a child and helped raise me in the summers when both my parents worked.

She had Alzheimer and eventually passed several years ago.

I have always been troubled by the question of whether you do forget a loved one, specifically a spouse who you have spent most of your life with and how sad it must be to have this happen as it is such a significant part of ones being.

I remember vistiting her when I would be home and entering her nursing home room and she would always think that I was my father at a younger age. She clearly had a memory of my father and until the few last years of her life would talk to me as if i was him recalling things from his childhood.

My father in law died of lung cancer a year ago this past December. My wife was pregnant when he was diagnosed and we were both concerned that our son Paz would not have a memory of him as he was only a year old when he passed. We both try to talk to our son about his gramp and show him pictures and tell him stories of him.

On Easter morning Paz and I were under a blanket that my father in law had used when he was in the hospital in the living room enjoying his excitement. I mentioned to my son that this was gramps blanket and that every time we use it, we should think about him.

It was sad for my wife and I as we looked at each other because i think we both new that his memory of his gramp would probably be very little.

The story from Christine gave me some hope and that her thought put some of my questions to rest as was being optimistic that perhaps this could be true.

Thank you Christine for this hope.