Jason - Sprinfield, Missouri
Themes: good & evil

This I Believe: Seek and Ye Shall Find

All of us have felt the sting of pain, the loneliness of confusion, and the hopelessness of being lost in life. Daily, we are faced with a two-path life, bombarded with opportunities for both good and evil to manifest in our lives. How can one find meaning in this life amidst such a dichotomy of negative and positive influences?

Seek and you will find.

Some argue that evil cannot exist if there were not truth in the world. How would we know what purity is if filth were not encompassing it, contrasting its beauty? If this argument is valid, all of us must make a decision. Will we seek good or evil today? Positive or negative? The very existence of pain and evil grants us not only the opportunity, but the motivation and desire to seek higher things.

Seek and you will find..

I think we can learn a lesson from Gilgamesh, an epic literary hero. Gilgamesh, even though he had enough brute strength to slay evil monsters with a 120 pound sword, did not avoid the sting of pain. His best friend and equal, Enkidu, died from sickness on his death bed: a shameful death for a brazen warrior. While Gilgamesh literally watched his friend rot in his arms as death overtook him, he realized this would be his end as well. But Gilgamesh had a restless heart. The truth would be found, and immortality sought. Gilgamesh ripped through the barriers of man, climbing up to the highest heaven to find the one man who was granted immortality by the gods: Utnapishtim. Once face to face with the immortal-man, Gilgamesh is offered a challenge: stay awake for six days and nights, and receive the gift of immortality. But Gilgamesh failed the test.

Seek and you will find.

Gilgamesh, although failing to receive immortality, learned a lesson of life: to seek and learn along the way. Immortality was not his, but his portion was to walk where no man had, test what no man dared, taste what no man had seen, and know what no man fathomed. This was his lot and portion.

Seek and you will find.

Gilgamesh is the portrait of humanity. By seeking the impossible, we find what we are looking for, even if it is not expected. Our purpose is unveiled through seeking. When we seek with all of our heart, the Source of Truth peeks His head over the horizon ever so slightly, bidding us to come, walk, test, taste, and know. The Source of Truth is not insecure, and a humble, thirsting, and inquisitive heart is never turned away.

Seek and you will find.

I believe when the focus is on evil and pain, humanity fails. To give up on the journey is to be defeated, and to quit is to miss out. We must seek the higher things. We must push forward until we have a reason, an answer, and a whisper that truly quiets our souls. We must focus on something larger than pain, and search for answers bigger than evil. The restless and thirsty heart will be filled.

Seek and you will find.