Rose - Fairbanks, Alaska
Themes: family, love

I Believe in Sisterhood

“To have a loving relationship with a sister is not simply to have a buddy or a confident — it is to have a soul mate for life.”

– Victoria Secunda

There was one event in my life that I deemed unimportant as it happened, but which has now changed my outlook on life. I was seven years old, planning on taking a bath as I had just gotten back from the pool and was cold. My little sister, two at the time, felt like she needed to help me. Her idea of helping however, was not exactly very…helpful. So while I tried to get the water in the tub to the exact temperature I wanted, she danced around naked. She was always the crazy one. As I leaned in to adjust the dials once more, she suddenly stopped her whimsical twirl and bent down on her knees by me. “Can I help?” she asked in her two year old baby voice. “Sure,” I said. I was always the nice one. As she leaned over the unnaturally tall sides of the tub, she slipped. Her little feet went up in the air and she went head over heels into the tub. All of a sudden there was blood, everywhere. And she was screaming. I was scared, there was a lot of blood, but I did the sensible thing any seven year old would have done. I picked her up and brought her to my parents. As soon as the drama came to a halt, and her head stopped bleeding, I was able to look at what she had been yelling about. There was a small cut, about one centimeter, on her forehead between her eyes, a scar that would be there forever.

Until recently, this event seemed pretty insignificant, just a memory that involved a lot of blood and a little scar. But then her teacher asked her to write a paper about whom she admired greatly. She wrote about me. She began with, “I admire my sister because not only is she the best sister ever, but she also helped save my life.” It went on to tell the same story.

I felt touched that my sister would write about me. I really didn’t think she felt like I had saved her life, or that I could be the person she admired the most. But then, as I started to think about it, I realized I admire her too. While I tend to stay back and watch, she pushes her way to the front and makes people pay attention to her. She is able to say what is on her mind in one clear sentence while I have to wait and think about what I am going to say. She was never the shy one always going up to kids and asking them to be her friend while I would wait quietly on the swing and hope someone would play with me. I admire how she can make people laugh and how she can be totally crazy all the time.

So, I believe in the deep powerful bonds of sisterhood. How it’s important to stay together, laugh together, cry together. I hope my sister stays how she is and that just maybe I’ll make better decisions to make myself the best role model I can be for her. I feel the only way to truly live is to create loving relationships that last forever and being a role model, someone she admires, is one step toward achieving that.