Michelle - San Antonio, Texas

A child in a single parent home

There are several reasons why as an adult I believe that a child should grow up living with both parents in the same home. My past experiences helped me realize how important it is to have both parents. I strongly believe that in order for a child to be disciplined, emotionally stabled, and secure, they must have both parents present in their lives.

Discipline is an important characteristic in a child’s life. Living in a single parent home I can remember always getting my way. My mom wasn’t too strict with me. She believed that I would use good judgment and make good choices for myself. I believe if my dad were in the picture I would not have been so lucky to have had my way all of the time. I can also recall many nights where I stayed out late without calling home. I felt like I had no one to answer to. My mom on the other hand was worried sick about me. In this case, I believe that if my dad was at home he would have gone out to look for me, with a bat in his hand ready to let me have it. There are many other ways that my mom wasn’t so strict. I think it was her guilt that I didn’t have my dad, so she let me get away with murder. This was a hard time for me because I felt lost sometimes. I felt like I was on my own. I had to learn from my mistakes instead of having my parents guide me.

Many times I can remember feeling emotionally unstable. I always felt different from my friends or family who had both parents. I can always remember wanting my parents living under the same roof. I wanted to live happily ever after. Not having both parents would cause me to fall apart at times. I felt like I was missing something. I was either happy or sad, and there was never a set feeling inside my heart. My emotions were always up or down. I can remember holidays were hard because I had to be with either mom or dad, never both at one time. This was the emotional roller coaster ride I had to overcome as a child. I wanted to pretend that I was happy and that nothing was missing, but all I ever did was lye to myself. This led me to believe that every child born should have their parents in the same household.

In other cases I always felt insecure. I felt insecure about myself and the people around me. I always had to question everything. I could never trust a word that came out of my mom or dad’s mouth. I remember just listening to promise after promise and never seeing any action taken. This false life led me to believe that my parents were liar’s. I knew that I never wanted to be like them. I could never trust them or feel secure. I had a very insecure life. There was never a time when I had to double check on things or rethink my actions. This led me to believe that I wanted to be different and better than the life I had as a child. I believe that a child should be able to rely on both their parents at all times. They should never have to feel rejected by their parents. It is not the child’s fault for what happened between their parents.

In conclusion, I believe that all children should have the opportunity to be disciplined, emotionally stable, and secure. Being a living testimony that single parent homes do work, it is living in a two parent home can increase the chances of having these positive traits. Children should be in under the same household with both parents living happily ever after.