Cynthia - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

Each Precious Day

“Here one minute gone the next” That is what they always say when someone passes away so unexpectedly. No one wants to ever say those words about anyone close to them. An illness or sudden freak accident, and it is over. The possibility of life’s sudden end, is something very close, and personal to me. I was raised by my grandmother, and just a baby the first time I survived an almost tragic accident, not quite two in fact. I swallowed the contents of a bottle of baby aspirin. I was too young to remember, but my grandmother used to tell of the screams she heard coming from my aunt, when my aunt found me unconscious and could not revive me. I still get chills thinking about it. I was rushed to the hospital just in time, they say. I hear the story over and over again every time we have a family gathering, though my grandmother passed away almost twenty years ago. I did not realize each precious day I had left with my grandmother until it was too late. This too is why I believe each day is precious because I know how quickly it can be taken away.

I was about six years old, my uncle only nine, the second time I faced what might have been the last day of my life. Both of us had fallen asleep in the back seat of the car while traveling with family to California. We were exposed to a near fatal dose of carbon monoxide poisoning. Our family tried to wake us to no avail. We were rushed to the hospital just in time, thankfully we both survived. I came close to death again when I was around the age of eight. I was thrown head first into the dash board and nearly bit off my tongue during a car accident. I woke up in the hospital with bandages on my head, the whites of my eyes were blood red, and my tongue swollen from stitches, but I got to eat ice cream for a week. I never dwelled on these events until recently. I began to think back on how many times I could have been taken so quickly from my family. What would have happened if I did not survive? What would their lives have been like without me? I am blessed with two daughters in my life, to love and enjoy as they grow into beautiful young women. They would not be here today if any of these events had resulted in a final outcome for me. Just two of many reasons why I believe each day is precious. I am thankful for being alive today.

I am at an age where I now realize I probably have lived more days than I have yet to live. I look forward to each precious day that life has to offer, future grandchildren, family and friends. I enjoy all the beauty there is in this world, despite all the terrible things we may face each day. I cherish the thought of spending the rest of my life with my soul mate. I have been blessed with more than a second chance in life. I appreciate each day that goes by. I don’t take any day for granted and accept each day as a gift. I believe each day of life is precious because when all is said and done, life is too short. I plan to live each day to the fullest.