Jordan - Fairbanks, Alaska

Friendly Fire

Friends are the people you can count on to tell you the things that you need to hear and the things you don’t , but don’t necessarily want to hear. They are the ones who tell you the truth… even when it hurts. But they do it because their your friends.

One of my friends recently did something that shocked our whole group of friends. She had just told us it was something she would never do and took an adamant stand against it. So we were really confused when she came to school laughing and joking about what she had just done. “It was fun, and exciting!” She said giggling, “Ummm, no, its dangerous and could get you into a lot of trouble. It was a stupid choice on your part.” I said , this was only a small part of our forty minuet chew out session. After it was over I started to think if I had even made a difference. She kept telling me how guilty I made her feel, which was my goal, but still, what if I hadn’t talked to her? As a friend I felt that it was my responsibility to talk to her, and maybe I was mean or harsh, but if I hadn‘t talked to her who would? I believe that it’s my job as a best friend to point out when the other is being stupid.

I think that friends make more of an impact than we realize. Because of the impression a friendship can have; I believe that it is a friends responsibility to speak up when the other is about to make a n unwise mistake. As teenagers we listen to our friends more than anyone, because of that we influence each others actions more than anything else. The way we think, the music we listen to , the clothes we wear, and our out of school activities are determined by our friends. This is why our parents feed us clichés like “know who your friends are” or “how well do you know your friends?” Or probably the worst one “well, if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?” Of course we dismiss those lines, they mean nothing at the time we’re force fed them. But thinking about those lines now it all makes sense. My friends mistake was made because of the friends that she was with at the time, and could have been easily avoided if a friend with common sense was in the room at the time. And hopefully it wont happen again. But the moral of this story is that real friend should be able to tell you any thing and you should feel the same. I believe that if you can count on your friends to help you make good choices, and correct the bad ones then they are your true friends.