Daniela - San Antonio, Texas

I believe I can survive

I believe I can survive my daughters’ teenage years. I have watched my bouncy, happy, giggly, little girl turn into a dragon that spits fire. Who would have thought that teenage hormones would change a girl so much? I tell my dad and he just kind of laughs, and says now you know what I went through with three girls. I wonder how he did survive with three girls. For some reason, my daughter seems to think she knows it all. I wish I could have been that smart at her age. At first, I thought what did I do wrong. However, as I sit back and watch other girls her age, I realize it is the next phase in life I am going through with her.

Since she is now sixteen, she is old enough to get her drivers permit. The idea of her in a car driving down the road terrifies me. How can she handle a car when she cannot even handle her room? Girls her age usually only have a couple of things on their minds boys, cell phones, and friends. You add in a car and it just makes a bad combination. To bad, they cannot change drivers’ age to eighteen.

My daughter loves to go shopping, but what teenage girl does not. If you just happen to mention the word “job”, you would have thought I asked her to pull every tooth out of her mouth. To her and her friends that is a three-lettered bad word. If she does happen to mention getting a job, it is working with me. Now that would drive me crazy, having her around twenty-four hours a day. Do not get me wrong I love my daughter, but I need a break from my daughter every once in awhile.

Then there is the drama of a teenage girl, the difficulties of friendship, and finding out who really is your friend. We went through a phase where she just was not happy. I made an appointment with her doctor, and he says Dani welcome to the age of adolescent. That was not a good enough reason for me, I kept telling myself, or maybe I even convinced myself that there had to be something wrong with her. I then requested an appointment with a counselor, and once again heard, Dani, its called being an adolescent. I had my daughter see her for two months just in case there was something, only to find out that she is normal. The only thing that will cure her is time; she will out grow it. To bad they do not make a “miracle grow” for this. I think I will just have to be patient and help her through this tough time.

When my friends ask how I keep my sanity with my teenager, I just tell them that I count down the years. However, the years are not going quick enough. Therefore, when the dragon does come out, I try to stay out of her way, or I give her my favorite look, which she really dislikes, usually this works. I think sometimes she does not realize what she is doing or saying. I believe I will make it through, and I will somehow survive my daughters’ teenage years. I only have two more years, but who is counting. Other parents before me have done it, and are still around to tell the survival tale of a teenage. When my daughter is “normal”, we have so much fun together. What I have learned though, is that girls need a lot of patience and understanding at this age. I went through it at her age and my dad is still here to talk about it, now he just laughs.